Swaine Adeney Collection
The Gladstone - Black
The Gladstone Bag is based on an iconic victorian design and is a bridle leather master-piece - a timeless and unique piece of English heritage ( 56 x 32 x 28 cm)
Ordering This Product
Ordering This Product
The iconic Gladstone bag is defined by its hand built frame and closure system, representing the ultimate in Swaine Adeney hand crafting. Employing the finest hand-finished materials and individually created in our Cambridge workshop by a single craftsman, each Gladstone bag is a timeless, unique piece of English heritage.
Did you know?
In the late 19th century, the Gladstone bag was developed as a small portmanteau, built over a rigid frame which could separate into two equal sections. It was made of stiff leather and often belted with lanyards.
The bag was named after William E. Gladstone (1809-1898), the four-times British Prime Minister, who travelled greatly. Needless to say, many Ministers of State and historic figures have called at the historic Piccadilly, New Bond Street and St James' Street store to travel in style with a piece of Swaine Adeney luggage. We are still in St James' at 7 Piccadilly Arcade and honoured to be visited by our loyal customers.
In J. D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye" (1951) the character Holden Caulfield packs Gladstone bags when he leaves Pencey Prep. Salinger's own war-time experiences with kit bags may have prompted him to think of Gladstone bags.
Oscar Wilde refers to the Gladstone bag in his "Picture of Dorian Gray" (1890) "What a way for a fashionable painter to travel," exclaims Dorian "...a Gladstone bag and an Ulster!" citing two fashionable pieces of Victorian luggage.
- Hand-finished traditional English bridle leather, tanned with natural plant extracts
- An environmentally-conscious leather, with a superior depth and richness that improves with maturity.
- Brass hardware and locks, cast and hand polished in England. With these traditional processes, both the natural grandeur and strength of the brass is retained.
- Full bridle leather, custom-made, wrap-around-straps are fitted with solid English brass buckles, to add additional security and definition to the Gladstone.
- Hand-riveted, bridle leather corner reinforcements guarantee durability and longevity.
- Featuring the unique slide-locking system for added security.
- Dimensions: (22 x 12.5 x 11” )are approximate as the item is handmade and can vary slightly.
This product will take between 4-8 weeks to be handcrafted by our specialist leatherwork team, however please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can check our stock for you.
We calculate delivery costs based on the weight of each product and country which the item is to be posted