Herbert Johnson Collection
The Smoulder Trilby
Ordering This Product
Ordering This Product
The Herbert Johnson Smoulder is our most stylish and universal style to date. A casual medium low crown paired with a snappy 2 1/2 inch brim will suit most face shapes and builds, a true wardrobe style staple.
This style was chosen by the costume designer for season 5 of the Internationally popular BBC series Peaky Blinders. Worn on screen by the character Thomas Shelby played by Cillian Murphy.
Handcrafted in peachbloom pure rabbit fur felt in a divine hue of smoke grey and finished with distinctive ribbon-work and a cross-knot bow. A stylish and timeless design, easily dressed up or down to suit practically any occasion or outfit.
- Felt: Smoke grey pure peachbloom rabbit fur felt
- Brim: Classic 2 1/2 inch raw-edge snap brim
- Ribbon: 1 1/4 inch grey vintage galloon ribbon-band with cross-knot bow style
- Interior : Branded liner & premium soft leather sweatband
- Bash: Hand-bashed soft front pinch, side dents and centre crease
These hats are created on straight sided graduated blocks scaled up and down proportionally from an average open crown height of 5 1/2 inches at a size 59cm. This ensures that no matter what size you order, the proportions of the hat remain in balance.
Made with the men's left sided bow as standard as in this display option, please specify if you would prefer it on the women's side on the right.
Once ordered you will be notified of the current lead time.
The Smoulder is now offered as part of our 'Classic' and 'Stage & Screen' Collections.
A striking design ideal for smart or casual wear that is sure to garner praise. The Herbert Johnson Smoulder design has proven to be very popular, even having been chosen by the costume designer for the hit BBC series Peaky Blinders season 5 for the main character Thomas Shelby to wear on screen.
Handcrafted in rich smoke grey peachbloom rabbit fur felt by our highly skilled hatters at Herbert Johnson. This style is complemented by a grey ribbon-band with distinctive cross-knot bow design. The Smoulder is both a timeless and stylish design.
This product will be handcrafted to order by our specialist hatting team at Herbert Johnson. Please email email@example.com to check our current lead time for this product.
Place the string or tape around your head above your ear and across the mid forehead, completely circling your head. Hold the tape firmly, but not too tightly. Measure your head exactly where you want the hat to sit. Measure in centimetres. If your measurement falls between sizes, round up to the nearest centimetre. It may help to either do this in the mirror or have someone to help for accuracy.
NB – If the Customer wishes to order something which varies from the standard options provided in the product listing (such as this model in a different colour or with the addition of some custom ribbon-work etc.), their order will need to be placed as a ‘Bespoke’ order. Please follow the link for more information about our Bespoke Range
All our hats are completely bespoke & handcrafted to order from only the finest sustainably sourced materials here at Herbert Johnson. We work closely with our fur felt hood suppliers in Portugal, choosing only the highest quality fur felt which is ordered to our exacting specifications.
All our felts are preshrunk during the blocking stage to avoid later shrinking as much as possible. Our rabbit is pounced to a smooth finish and a coating of protector is applied to prolong its resistence to the elements. Whilst not as dense as our beaver fur felts, our rabbit makes a very fine quality fur felt hat.
A note on Lead Times for our Handcrafted Hats
- Lead times are variable depending on our current volume of new orders being received.
- Please note that our handcrafters fulfil orders on a first come first served basis.
- When new orders are received at our Hatting Workshop, they are entered into our making schedule in the next available position in the queue.
- Once your order reaches the front of the queue, it will take approximately 10 days to be handcrafted to order by our specialist hatting team at Herbert Johnson.
- The wait time for our handcrafted hats is normally between 2-8 weeks but please be aware that this can be subject to change.
- The wait time for our handcrafted custom bespoke orders may be longer depending on what materials & supplies may need to be especially ordered in to fulfil the order.
- If you would like to enquire about the current expected lead time for your order, please contact the hatting workshop directly via firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are hoping to order your hat for a particular event, please ensure you make your order in plenty of time prior to your deadline. Please inform our hatting workshop directly if your order is time sensitive and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Postage & Packaging:
- Once ordered you will be notified of the lead time.
- Our hats are carefully packaged in cardboard postal boxes for dispatch internationally.
- We ship worldwide.
- We calculate delivery costs based on the weight of each product and country to which the item is to be posted.
- Postage costs may be included in the purchase price for some items.
Store your hat somewhere dry placed brim down or preferably in a hat box. We recommend using a soft bristled hat or clothes brush to care for your hat. Brush your hat counter clockwise to free any particles from the felt. Whilst we preshrink all our hats, under extreme moisture conditions the felt may still be vulnerable to shrinkage or losing its shape if not properly cared for. We advise against force drying your hat and it is best to allow it to dry naturally brim side down.